Wednesday, July 14, 2010

once a runner.

So I stole that title from a book, but I couldn't think of anything else that better defines this post.

There are a few things that I think of when I think of myself.  One of them, as many of y'all probably know, is a runner.

The past few weeks, though, I haven't felt like one. I took two weeks off during my trip to Vietnam, which is actually the longest time I've gone without running/some sort of similar exercise in six years.

Yep, six years.

Well, two weeks off will certainly take a hit.  I knew this going into my break, knew this during my break, and know this now, but it's just a hard pill to swallow.  I just don't feel like a runner right now.  I can't find my stride, I can't find my rhythm.  A month or two ago, I could run as far as I wanted.  I could go fast.  I felt loose, fast, quick, light, and every other good word I've ever used to describe running. I love that feeling. Like I'm a little kid.  Like I'm flying.  Like I want to cry because it's so GOOD.  It's every good feeling rolled into one.

And I don't feel like that anymore. And it hurts my soul just a little bit, because I feel like there's this absolutely essential part of me I just can't find right now.

So here's to a good run tomorrow morning.  Here's to getting back in my rhythm.

[crosses fingers]

No comments: