Thursday, July 1, 2010

Can I have yo' ipod?

Reasons why today is fabulous:

  • It's a balmy 72 degrees here in Philly.  At 1pm.  And the humidity, by Georgia's standards, is nonexistant.
  • This perfect weather + a fabulous 8 miler through Philly's historic district + a Barnes and Noble excursion + a caramel frappachino post-run= a most wonderful morning
  • The dining hall gave out "stress fruit"--those little foam things.  So now, upon my desk, sits a stress-strawberry.  A-freaking-dorable.
  • Jimmy John's is giving out free sandwiches tonight from 7pm-9pm to all TFA staff! Guess when my dinner break is? 7pm. Perfecto.
Also.  Funny story.  Today was probably my most interesting run.

Scene: This is the first morning I ran with my iPod. I was stopped at a cross-walk, waiting for the sign to turn green so I could continue out of the super sketchy area.  Enter: sketchy homeless woman.

Sketchy homeless woman: Um, lady, can I have yo' ipod?

Me: I'm sorry, why?

SHW: Can I have yo' ipod?

Me: Um, no, I don't think so. I'm sorry!

SHW: But I need yo' ipod.

Me: I'm sorry, I don't think so!

SHW: Are you sure?

Light turns green.

Me: Yeah, I'm sorry.  I've gotta go.  (Nervous smile) Hope you have a great day!

And I run off, hoping that she doesn't develop a sudden ability to spring after me and I don't see her half-toothless smile following me.

No comments: