Sunday, June 27, 2010

Waiting for Superman



One of my friends who will be TFA-ing beginning in the fall in Baton Rouge, LA sent me this video! Just a great reminder.

The corps members arrived today--650 new faces!  We're all really excited that they're finally here, after preparing (relentlessly) for the past 9 days, unpacking boxes, putting up perfectly placed signage, cutting out letters, arranging kits, etc.  We are interested to see how our world will be changed when you add all these new people.  We've had all of the 1300 residence hall to ourselves, the staff to ourselves, the dining hall to ourselves, and now... not so much, haha! Marquita, who is quite possibly one of my FAVORITE people ever, threatened to lock the doors to keep the CMs from coming in, but Lindsay, one of the awesome staff members, reminded M that we had done all this work FOR them, since the probability of any of us using the resource room (full of books, crafts, teacher tools, etc.) is slim, and plus then we'd have a whole ton of kids sitting alone in classrooms.  Oops.  I guess we need them. :)

(PS to all of my CM friends--I love you.  I promise.  And I am unbelievably pumped to meet all of the new CMs and watch them turn from mostly recent college grads to America's newest, most prepared teachers.)

We finally had some down time last night and after another stellar meal at the dining hall, most of the OC's went out in Philly.  We. had. a. blast!! It was probably one of the most interesting nights of my LIFE.  My roommates and three other OCs had stayed and gone to the dining hall while a group of about ten or so went to a Mexican restaraunt in another part of Philly.  The seven of us decided to take the subway from Temple Univ, where we're staying, to Cristina's apartment, which is near Penn's campus.  Easy, right? Um, no.

Unfortunately for you, that story will just have to wait.  I am absolutely, 100%, entirely exhausted, so I'm going to curl up with some Monsters, Inc., and go to sleeeeep.

happy day.

No comments: