Friday, June 12, 2009

Yay for street food!

Hey everyone!  Sorry I haven't updated in so long, but thankfully it's just been because we've been so busy!  Anne and I have fallen into a wonderful routine here in Kakumdo Village.  Last weekend, Anne and I visited an ecolodge about two and a half hours from here and had a wonderful time.  We left early Saturday morning for "Green Turtle Lodge," which we'd heard nothing short of marvelous things about.  Because of the remote location, the owners have little access to phone or email, so when we left, we weren't even sure we would be able to have a room!  I'm so glad we went anyway, though, because it was one of the most beautiful, serene places I've been.  We drove through tiny ocean villages and forested areas before reaching this little nook in which Green Turtle is situated.  Imagine ten or so quaint little huts, lots of trees, wooden covers with tables under them, and an open/bar or restaurant.  Though there were certainly people there, it was impossible not to feel serene and, if you wanted, alone.  The beach was, unlike those in Cape coast and Accra, pristine.  Anne and I took beds in one of the dormitory style rooms for less than the equivalent of $5 per night!  And the food.  Ohhh man.  After living off of cookies and rice for a week, the plentiful veggies and fruits were HEAVENLY.  My favorite was Sunday morning French Toast made from Baguettes drizzled with local honey, served with fried plantains and COFFEE, which neither Anne nor I had tasted since leaving the states.  And their guacamole was so fresh and delicious. And chocolate fondu...  ahhhh it makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!  Plus, there was a book exchange.  Yay for fellow nerds because I'm running out of books to read...  That being said I'd love any suggestions for when I get back... :)

We returned to Kakumdo rested and ready for another week, though we were so exhausted we fell asleep around SEVEN that night.  It was totally worth it though, haha.  Teaching has been wonderful.  The kids are still happy to see us, but no longer feel the need to completely bombard us, though I still get tugged, and even bitten.  Yes, chomp chomp chomp :) haha.  But they're adorable and certainly one of the best parts of being here.  Since today was Friday, it was all fun and games.  The culture professor taught Anne and I on the drums for about an hour, while the kids played field games and the teachers joined in, alternating between drumming and refereeing various races.  Finally Anne and I were dragged into one of the relays.  It was so fun because we tied and so all of the kids just rushed us and started hugging and screaming.  Then all of the teachers took the drums and started playing.  The kids got so excited and we switched off learning dances and teaching them swing dancing.  I can't even explain how much fun it was.  The music was so loud and everyone was just laughing that you didn't even really think about anything else, you just kind of went with the music.  It didn't matter that we (or, I.  Anne has pretty good rhythm) didn't have rhythm or know their dances perfectly, just let loose and had fun.  The kids just loved watching us dance thought whatever we did was hilarious--from disco moves to the scuba moves to just moving and jumping.  Pure bliss.  I just can't even explain how happy it made me!  It was definitely one of my favorite memories.

I find it so hard to believe that yesterday marked the halfway point of our journey.  In two weeks, Anne and I will be boarding another plane, leaving behind Ghana, though definitely not for good.  As many people told me, the first week was definitely slow, but the second week was the fastest week I've ever had.  And probably the most meaningful.  The first week of the trip, we adjusted. We took in all of the new sights, new customs, and definitely got freaked out by overly friendly taxi drivers and the like.  This week, though, we're still soaking it all in, but we're taking new meaning from each interaction.  The people of Ghana have the most beautiful souls.  Everywhere we go, we are greeted like the most important guests.  An old man we walk by each day on our way to school never fails to tell us, "Welcome," as we walk by.  And the smallest of gestures will cheer us up when we're stressed about making it home before dark.  The other day Anne and I were in a grocery (which is really a small building about the size of a closet with three walls and a porch) and looking at candy.  We asked the girl, who looked about two years younger than us, what they were, and she tried to describe them.  Then she took one, handed it to us, and offered for us to try it.  No one would do that in the states.  Well, almost no one.  Then, as we were walking out, saying thank you, she said "You are always welcome here!"  Being a stranger in a strange land, Anne and I are realizing how much these little things really do make our day.  Hardly a few hours pass when we don't go "Awww" because someone seemed to really care about us, despite only having met us three minutes prior.  The people here just value human interaction in a way that either I just don't see every day or that is truly unique.  It's not about how someone can help you, it's about how you can help every single other person out there.  It's such a refreshing, humbling, and beautiful viewpoint.  Ah.  gosh, I really do love it here.  When we arrived, one of the men who helped us referred to this as "Sweet, sweet, Africa" and Anne and I decided we really hoped we would feel the same adoration for this beautiful place, and speaking for myself, I do.  And I can't imagine how much I'll love it even more after another two weeks!

Ok, so off of the sentimental stuff... Anne and I have made several GREAT discoveries in the past few days that have REALLY changed our quality of life, haha.  One: Instant coffee.  I'm sure it's nothing like the coffee in America, but it's caffeine, and it's hot, and it's strong.  And it has made our mornings SO SO SO much easier, haha.  Two: Fresh. Bread.  In the village area across the street from Anne and I, a woman bakes bread in a clay dome that is absolutely DELICIOUS.  It's this sweet, white, pure, fluffy bread.  Anne and I can eat a loaf in about 3 minutes flat.  It's nice just to have a starch besides rice... Which brings me to our third savior: street food.  After originally avoiding these little pieces of heaven in fear of something like South Korea, Anne and I finally bit the bullet and tried street food.  Roasted corn on the cob, rice and black eyed peas, fried plantains, and fried yam balls.  It's such a nice, satisfying change from rice, and so good to get some protein and vegetables and... ah, it's safe to say we'll probably be eating that 6 out of 7 nights per week.

Well, I'm about out of time but I will certainly try to update again in a few days!  Hope everyone is doing well, I'd LOVE to hear from you, just shoot me an email.  This weekend, Anne and I are going to Hohoe (Ho-hoy) and the Wli Falls, the highest waterfall in Ghana.  Should be GORGEOUS!  Lots of love!!

No comments: