Monday, June 29, 2009

Girl power.

One of the most touching things I remember from teaching was a phrase the KG2 teacher, Mr. Richard (who was actually only NINETEEN, and we still called him Mr. Richard.  Weird.)  had his kids repeat.  It's a quote that they attribute to one of their presidents, but that I've seen from various authors.  It goes:

"When you educate a boy, you educate an individual.  When you educate a girl, you educate a family.  When you educate a family, you educate a country."

This is touching on so many levels.  First of all, hearing so many little voices assert this was just... breathtaking, for me, at least.  Second, it was a MALE teacher who was ensuring that these children grow up realizing the importance of girls' education.  It reminded me of a movement called "The Girl Effect."  One of my professors last fall showed us their promotion, and it was SO AWESOME.  If I haven't made you watch it yet, please take the time to look at it, it's so cool, from both a people-perspective and just pure advertising genius, haha:

http://www.girleffect.org/

Enjoy!

No comments: